Wednesday 10 November 2010

Issues/ Theories that relate to my Critical investigation:

1) Issue: Media Effects:
This issues measure just how much the media effects society and how it is so vital in today's society. Under this issue, there can be many topics that can effect its audience, which in my case is sexual imagery. Analysing how Lads mags effect the youth of today, a media effect is taking place.

2) Issue: Regulation and censorship:
Regulation is monitoring and controlling behaviour while censorship is a suppression of certain things within society, which in this case is sexual images being displayed to youth. Why this issue is interesting to me and my critical investigation is becuase I can study both the regulation and the censorship Lads mags hold and what is being done so far to prevent this magazines being displayed to a younger, unintended target audience.

3) Issue: Ownership and control:
This issue plays a big part in my ciritical investigation as the ownership of lads mags can be explored and the control of how explicit the images are can also be analysed. Analysing this issue can also tie in with regulation and censorship issue as I can explore how big a part censorship plays within the ownership of lads mags.


4) Theory: Gender/ethnicity:
The gender and ethnicity involved with the mags can also relate to my investigation as the women being displayed can have a big effect on reader consumption can could also reflect reader's views on women of different race groups and women in general. Also with this theory I can bring in the hegemony issue and also ownership as I can explore what women are displayed and see if there is a specific reason behind it.


5) Theory: Marxism and hegemony:
Marxism and hegemony both hold the idea that one social class is superior to another, making the higher social class be able to influence social and media control. How I can relate this to my investigation is I can explore how these values both influence and reflect Lads Mags. Being linked to ownership, a person in a position of power can influence what is shown on these magazines.

No comments:

Post a Comment